Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalm 119:105)
During the month of September let us join our brothers and sister in Christ to remember the great treasure that is THE HOLY BIBLE. It is in the words of Sacred Scripture that God reveals His love for us.
The declaration of September as a Bible Month is meant to help us understand the importance of the Bible in our lives. And encourage us to make it a habit to read, meditate, and understand the teaching of the Bible. Such spiritual insights will help us act according to the will of God for our lives.
We invite everyone to bring their Bible to Mass on September 26.
Read, Meditate, & Understand
The Holy Bible is a treasure for coming face to face with God’s mercy. Let us resolve each day to spend some time encountering God in the pages of sacred scripture. In doing so invite the Holy Spirit to open your mind to understand God’s Word and how to apply it to your life.
• Devour God’s Word; let it become your happiness and joy (Jer 15:16).
• Study it daily (Acts 17:11) and allow it to burn in your heart (Lk 24:32).
• Savor God’s Word. Let it become to you more precious than riches and sweeter than honey (Ps 119:72, 103).
• Allow God’s Word to judge (Jn 12:48), pierce (Heb 4:12), and change you.
• Abide in God’s Word (Jn 8:31) and let it abide in you (Col 3:16). Spend your best time and your spare time in the Word.
• “Humbly welcome the word that has taken root in you, with its power to save you. Act on this word” (Jas 1:21-22).
• Let God’s Word fill your heart, mind, and soul to the point that your native language is Scripture (Ps 119:13; Lk 6:45).
• Teach the Word of God to others (2 Tm 4:2).
Understanding the Bible
Today’s Catholic is called to take an intelligent, spiritual approach to the bible. Here are 10 points for fruitful Scripture reading.
Videos about The Bible on Formed.org
Below are some videos found on Formed.org that dive into topics related to the Bible. (NOTE: All who attend our parish can access FORMED.org for free! If you don’t yet have a Formed.org account, please click here for the details)
The Bible: God’s Love Letter to Humanity (Video)
The seventy-three books of the Bible come together to tell the story of God’s saving plan. But is it merely an ancient document or collection of fables? Why do Catholics believe it is “inspired”—and what does “inspired” mean? In this session, we’ll look at the Bible as an encounter in which the God who speaks to us as a Father lovingly speaks to his children. Watch the video
Is there only one way to use the Bible? (Video)
Dr. Mark Giszczak and Chris Stefanick open up what the Bible is and ways in which you could read it. Watch the video
The Catholic Approach: The Story (Video)
Kevin Saunders gives a refresher on the Bible’s centrality to the Catholic story and provides three overarching principles for engaging with God’s Word. Watch the video
Lord, I do believe all that You have spoken and revealed. Help me to listen to You all the more and to cling to Your every word. Jesus, I trust in You.